Monday, May 05, 2008

Sheer Stupidity - alive and kicking in the UK's National Health Service

Until May 2008, I had never been admitted to a hospital. A short, 2-day stay, at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, however was a real eye-opener and I thought I'd share some of it with you.

During this period, I was sent to A&E by my GP, was sent home from there, returned a few hours later with the same symptoms and was finally admitted to the Medical Admissions Unit - the MAU.

Here are some of the gems:

1. A bin marked 'Clinical Waste Only' was used to prop open the door to my room (which I needed due sensitivity to light). Did I mention that the bin remaining open until I closed it the following day?

2, A migraine patient (me) was put into a sideroom, which was supposed to be a 'quiet room'. This, like several 'quiet rooms' I have seen on visiting other people in hospitals, was situated right next to the nurses' station where phone remained unanswered for upwards of 30 rings and incessant chattering (a lot of it non-English by the night staff, whom I affectionately dubbed "The Chico Brigade". Racist I'm not, irritable I definitely am.

3. An elderly patient was wheeled onto the ward and was asked (in one sentence): "Do you know how much you weigh? What's your weight? I need to know how much you weigh: what is your weight?" No longer the poor OAP was confused after that!

4. Evidence that, if you're being cared for by the NHS and you don't happen to be in bed for a meal-time then you don't get the meal!

5. Cleanliness? Well, lots of handwashing... but how long does one need to look at the same three tea cups? 8 hours and counting...

6. The clincher? Being told that discharge is definite. Go to sleep, the wife is told that I will definitely be kept in for another night. Joined up thinking is beautiful.

7. Blood tests taken, no idea when they'll be back. Even if they are back, you're not told the results, even if they show something nasty.

8. Oh, yes, one final thing: If the NHS is a 24x7 service, how comes there are fewer doctors on at the weekend and far less scanning facilities available?

Actually, the care from most of the nurses was fine, but should I be able to pick up on this number of minor issues when I was only there for two days?

Feel free to comment!

No comments: